NORTHERN ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
NOJHL NETWORK MEDIA UPDATE
Release Date: Monday, Oct. 3, 2016
Crunch move to 8th; Thunderbirds slip to 17th in CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The latest edition of the Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Top 20 rankings announced Monday sees one Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League club making a move up the listings and another moving down a few of notches.
The Cochrane Crunch jumped seven spots and were slotted eighth in the 132-team CJHL this week while the defending league champion Soo Thunderbirds dipped four placings to No. 17 in the country.
Cochrane remains unbeaten in regulation heading into game action this week with a 7-0-1-1 record with their 16 points presently pacing the NOJHL’s East Division.
Sault Ste. Marie also has 16 points to lead the NOJHL West with an 8-2-0-0 mark.
In terms of winning percentage the Crunch sit at .889 through nine games played while the Thunderbirds are at .800 after 10 outings.
The Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) is the No. 1 rated team in the CJHL this week followed by the Terrebonne Cobras (QJHL) at No. 2 and the Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners, who sit in the No. 3 slot.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings and five honourable mention teams:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Oct. 3)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
2. Terrebonne Cobras (QJHL) (3)
3. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (4)
4. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (HM)
5. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (10)
6. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (1)
7. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (2)
8. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (15)
9. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (16)
10. Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL) (NR)
11. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (14)
12. College Francais de Longueil (LHJQ) (20)
13. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (NR)
14. Okotoks Oilers (AJHL) (NR)
15. Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) (12)
16. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (18)
17. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (13)
18. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (5)
19. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (19)
20. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Cowichan Valley Capitals (BCHL); Calgary Canucks (AJHL); Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL); Stouffville Spirit (OJHL); Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL)
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and nearly 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.